Friday, September 2, 2011

poco a poco

I started school last week, and have been studying Spanish 4-5 hours everyday at the local school here. There are students from all over the world, including the two that live with me from Quebec and Germany. Classes have been needless to say- a bit frustrating. For those that have gone to school with me, you are aware that I'm not a fan of the classroom. I would much rather be out in the world- talking to people, working with my hands, seeing change. Yet, mi maestra (my teacher) is teaching me valuable lessons every day. Humility at how far behind in Spanish I am. (Amazing that those last few classes on Spanish Art in the 1800, the early history of Spain, and the rule of Franco did not aid me in speaking to people in everyday conversations.) Understanding, while being able to see many cultural differences through her. And patience... realizing that nothing will come quickly or easily, especially if I try to do it alone.

Her favorite phrase is "poco a poco" (little by little) ... you'll understand Spanish more little by little. Little by little your stomach will stop hurting... Little by little you will not be so white.

Poco a poco.

We cannot do anything big. All is done little by little, and even those small things we cannot do without God.

“What I do, you cannot do; but what you do, I cannot do. The needs are great, and none of us, including me, ever do great things. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful.”

-Mother Theresa

"You know well enough that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love with which we do them."

Saint Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment