Saturday, April 2, 2011

A long coming desire of the heart.


This is my college essay that I found last week... I've been so blessed to be able to follow through with the desires that have been placed on my heart for so long now!

Patrick McDonald once asked, "Why is it that a child's death amounts to a tragedy, but the death of millions is merely a statistic?" I am a child. I am not one of the 640 million children who do not have adequate shelter, but I am a child. I am not one of the 500 million children who do not have access to sanitation, but I am their sister. I am not one of the 400 million children who do not have access to safe water, but I am their advocate. I am not one of the 90 million children who is severely food deprived, but I can help.

I am a child with resources, so I will take action. I am not part of the half of the world’s population that lives on only two dollars a day, but I have the resources to help them. I am not one of the billion people that entered the twenty-first century unable to read a book, or sign their name, but I am a teacher. I am not one of the 210,000 children that has died every week due to poverty, but I will devote my life to saving theirs.

I am a child with a voice, so I will

make my voice heard. Mohandas Ghandi once stated, “If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children.” We must not be afraid to take a stand. “Say not ‘I am too young.’ To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.” (Jeremiah 2:7-8)

Children hold the future in the palm of their hands: they make up the future leaders of the next generation in power. They will have the ability to make a difference: to end poverty, to shelter the homeless, to feed the hungry. These children must be educated, yet in order to do this, we must have a proper education to help those lacking one. Even Mother Teresa received an education to aid the million of lives that she touched.

I am one of these children who is looking for an education to help the millions who cannot get one. I plan on devoting my life to shaping this world into what God intended it to be, no matter how hard the task. God has devised a plan for all of us, and I know this is the right one for me. With the help of my peers, I will give all I possess to make this world a better place before I join our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment